Why whole Type is greater than the sum of its parts
Accessible resources to help you explore Type Dynamics.
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator's edge over other personality measures is the depth that Type Dynamics adds. Understanding the order of development and the interaction of the MBTI preferences makes whole Type descriptions far more powerful than just knowing your individual preferences.
Why use Type Dynamics?
At the core of each MBTI Type are the four mental processes (Sensing, iNtuition, Thinking and Feeling) which interact dynamically over the span of your life. Type Dynamics explains how and
- pinpoints each Type’s favourite (dominant) process – critical for understanding intrinsic motivation and approaches to problem solving
- clarifies how everyone uses extraversion or introversion and identifies which process is typically used in interacting with others, adding insight to communication issues
- supports strategies for building resilience to stress, by looking at the role of the favourite and least preferred processes
- gives insight into how people of superficially similar Types, e.g. ENTP and ENTJ, may experience friction because of their very different drivers
- charts the likely order in which you will develop your processes, giving valuable insight into the shifts and changes you are likely to experience over time.
Explaining Type Dynamics simply
Now you can explore Type Dynamics without having to remember or explain the mechanics. Our resources build on the preference pairs colour-coding already embedded in Typies®, the MBTI Type table - who are we? and all of our Fun Type Tables.
With the colours of the mental processes at their heart, the Core Character illustrations below reveal the favourite function (dominant process) of each Type at a glance. The introverted or extraverted nature is shown by the colour of the inner border.
The Conserver, for example, represents the favourite Core Character for ISFJ and ISTJ Types. Both share the dominant process/function of Introverted Sensing.
Download individual Core Characters by clicking on each image in the chart above.
Free MBTI practitioner resources
To access these resources, you must be MBTI qualified and logged in to your OPP account.
Reveal key drivers of each MBTI Type - gain instant access to the power of Type Dynamics.
Decode communication issues by explaining which of your Core Characters people see.
|Core Characters under everyday stress
See what happens to each Type under everyday stress, and how to regain balance.
|Core Characters in the grip
Explore what happens under extreme stress, with tips to recognise it and recover.
Type Dynamics training
Not practised for a while? Our MBTI Refresh and Reconnect workshop can rebuild your confidence and will introduce you to the latest tools and techniques to run impactful MBTI sessions.
Type Dynamics products